A Conversation with Anne Hillman (KIAL)

My name is Bryce Edgmon. Since my first visit nearly 20 years ago, and more recently, as the legislator representing Unalaska, it’s been my privilege of getting to know a lot of current and former residents on a first-name basis.
To give a little background on myself, I was born and raised in Dillingham and after graduating from High School, earned a degree in Business Administration from the University of Alaska, in Anchorage.
I’ve worked for a number of years as staff for the legislature and was the manager of the CDQ program in the Alaska Department of Commerce, which gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about the Bering Sea fishing industry. I’ve served as the Chief Operating Officer for the Bristol Bay Economic Development Corporation, and been President of the Choggiung Village Corporation, which has 1700 shareholders.
To me, there is no question that Unalaska is one of the most dynamic communities in all of Alaska. And as the hub for the Bering Sea groundfishing industry, it contributes a lot of money (each year) to the state treasury, while also playing an important role in the overall economic picture in the state. But, that, with it comes, the responsibility to provide and maintain a tremendous amount of local support services and infrastructure, and that Unalaska itself, well-rounded community with a lot of needs of its own.
I’ve worked hard to be a good legislator. And working as a team, with Senator Hoffman, there is much more to be done and particularly, in this era of rising energy costs.
That’s why I’m once again, asking for the support of local voters, so I can return to Juneau to continue working on advancing the priorities of Unalaska in legislature.
I’d like to close by saying that the community has been absolutely outstanding to work with and I very much look forward to representing its interests during the upcoming legislative term.